I haven’t talked about this yet on the blog although it has been in the works for quite a while. For a few years now, I have been considering doing my MBA. I eventually want to go into business for myself (in the mining engineering world) and felt that an MBA would help bring me credibility when I eventually start my own business. I had been waffling about it for a number of years but it never felt like the right time. When I talked to my husband about it, his answer was that it is just like having a baby – there is never a ‘right’ time. There are better times and worse times but not right times. I also talked to one of my friends that has his MBA and he said that he has never heard of anyone doing their MBA and regretting it. Between those two conversations, I figured I might as well apply. Which was partially me putting the outcome in someone else’s hands. I had made the decision that I would attend if I got in. And I got in.
It wasn’t actually as straight forward as that. I applied to two schools and got into one – I was rejected by the one I wanted more. But that was ok, I would just go to the other one. No big deal, ultimately. Until I got a call from the university that rejected me to say that they decided to review my application again and offer me a spot. That was unexpected. I’m not sure what caused them to look at the application again other than perhaps they didn’t have as many people accepting a seat as they had anticipated and they had extra spots. Regardless, it put me in an interesting spot. I had already accepted my seat at the other university and had even registered for a course. So, to stay or to go. I also didn’t have much time to decide. Ultimately it was an easy decision. I decided to go which means that I am starting at Athabasca University in January. Their program is an executive MBA (EMBA) rather than a traditional one meaning that what I am going to have in the end is better. Plus, they set up their programs differently because they are mainly a distance learning university. Each course is roughly two months long with a break of one to two weeks between each course. Then one exam at the end of phase 1, which brings me to March 2020. It also means that if I keep to their schedule, I will technically be considered a full time student and I will qualify for more funding.
Part of me writing this post is to let everyone know that I might be quiet in 2019 and beyond. I’m going to be working full time and going to school full time along with having a family of five. My guess is that I’m going to be so busy that I won’t know if I’m coming or going. I will still be knitting and crocheting – there is nothing that could stop me from that – but I’ll be slower at getting projects done because school projects are going to be priority over knitting and crocheting.